Tuesday, February 12, 2013

flashbacks and regrets

i had an appointment yesterday at the hospital and drove past the women's pavilion as i was leaving and thought back to almost 5 months ago. i love how developed and interactive liam is right now but i longed to be back in room 314 with our fresh little babe. i was so ready to get home that i dont think i savored those moments enough.
i would relive the csection and all the nerves and the pain in a heartbeat. i want to relive the moment that i felt doctor dixon pull him out and i heard his cry for the first time. i want to relive the moment i saw my husband fall in love with our son for the first time. i want to relive the moment they finally wheeled me into recovery and i got to hold him for the first time.
i wish i took more time to study all of his newborn features. his wrinkly hands and feet. his squishy face. his newborn smell. his tiny quiet cry.


mama's to be--do me a favor and hold onto your new little ones a little tighter when you're in the hospital those first days. before you know it, you'll be wishing you were still living those beautiful and precious moments.

6 comments:

Tanya said...

I hear ya! I wanted to be out of there so badly, but I would give anything to go back for just one day and remember everything!

Holly said...

Good post! I will try to remember that since I'm delivering in less than two weeks. I'm also having a c-section! Any advice as far as recovery goes??

Kristen said...

So exciting Holly!! I would never change my decision to have a csection. I wouldn't have even regretted it if he had turned out to be a normal sized baby.
I probably felt better leaving the hospital and days after than any of the other moms that had a vaginal birth.
I hope they use glue to close you up cause I'm positive that helped with the pain of things touching my incision instead of staples or stitches.
Also, I think getting up and walking as soon as you are cleared to and as much as you can is important! It was really gross to me when I'd walk and just feel the post-partum blooding, but keep walking!
I heard people suggest to stay on the meds as long as you can but I had surgery on a Friday and took my last pill by Tuesday. I just wasn't in enough pain to justify taking a heavy drug.
The nurses would suggest for me to sit in the chair in the room for a little bit instead of just the bed. I dont know if that really helped though.
The worst pain I dealt with after was just simply trying to sit up from a laying position. That was pretty painful.
Oh, and bring a dress to leave the hospital in. I had loose sweatpants and even those hurt to wear. And when you're leaving ask for extra pairs of the meshy underwares. They are ugly as all get out, but I lived in those things until I ran out and after that have some baggy granny panties ready to wear.

Sorry I practically wrote a novel and it's so scatterbrained! I can't wait to hear about and see Capri! Good luck!

Meagan @ Meagan Tells All said...

I agree!! The whole delivery experience is so amazing and it goes by so quickly. Kind of like my wedding day. I seriously don't remember much so it makes me sad. I wish we could go back and really enjoy it knowing that everything turned out fine and there was no reason to stress about anything, Ellie hasn't fallen asleep on my chest in weeks and it makes me want to cry! She doesn't like it anymore,....tear!!

Brittany said...

I agree and totally feel ya there! I was in SUCH a rush to get home and get life moving on that I didn't really savor those first few moments like I should have. And you can't go back that's for sure! They just keep growing and growing and won't STOP! :-)

The Hargretts said...

When I saw that this post was flashback and regrets I got a little nervous because I don't want you to have any regrets! But then when I saw what it was about I felt better and thought it was so sweet. I will take this advice to heart for sure. I agree with Meagan though... I wish I could remember more and savored more of our wedding day. That just makes me know that I need to savor the next big event in our life. =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...