Sunday, January 30, 2011

The never ending project

I decided to take on a project that will hopefully continue on until I die. Or get too old to write. Or my life gets too boring.
A few weeks ago my mom gave Lance and I a rifle that was my great grandpa's. It's pretty
antique-y and I can't wait to find a good place and way to display it. It's neat to have something that my great grandpa used to hunt back in the 1900's.
Over the last few years I have been thinking lately about having items to pass on to the generations after me. About a year ago I bought a ring to pass on to a daughter. If I have more than one daughter, looks like there will either have to be a dual or more rings bought :)
It's nothing crazy ornate but I think it'll serve the purpose.
The project I mentioned before is just a little composition book for now, but I started writing all the memories I have from when Lance and I were dating and engaged. I hope to keep up with the book as the memories happen. Sure, I have this blog, but I would love to have a journal or book that has my grandma's handwriting. Hopefully my kids or grandkids will be as interested as I am.
I feel kinda silly writing the stories down but it's been fun remembering the times. I really hope I am able to keep this up and that it turns out pretty cool. Maybe I'll even include pictures...?



As my little side story for this post, Lance and I went to the Cairo Branch to listen to his sister
and friend sing in their sacrament. On our way home we passed a cow pasture and awed and ooed at the baby calves they had. Then I saw a cow laying on the ground weirdly. It wasn't like how a cow is normally chilling on the ground. Then I noticed the sack protruding from it's backside. So we turned around and sure enough the cow was having a baby. When we walked up it was only the hooves sticking out but by 15 or 20 minutes the whole thing came out. The momma cow was made into quite the attraction. Another car had pulled over and joined us. We waited another few minutes to see if the calf would stand but we had been out there a good while
already and decided to go.
I told my mom about this and her reaction was "birth is amazing. does that make you want a
baby?"
It was sweet and all but no thanks, that after birth hanging out of her junk and the blood on her utters was a little much to make me think about having a birth of my own.

5 comments:

Lindy said...

I love your generations project! They will definitely love having something in your own handwriting.

And I love that ring.

And I probably saw one too many baby cow births as a child...that junk is traumatizing. But I love your mom's reaction to your cow brith story--classic!

Hang out soon? Yes PLEASE.

Sarah said...

Keep up with the journal! Your kids and grandkids will def want to read it. I just found my Nanny's baby book the other day and was fascinated by all the details in it.

As for the cow birth that is so neat you got to see one! I've never seen an animal give birth but just remember when you give birth you don't have to see all that junk and someone else cleans it up......much better in my opinion! And your mom's right-birth is amazing! :)

freya said...

good point about the hand writing. that definitely makes it more special.

i agree with your reaction, it's sweet, but i wouldn't want to be in the mama cow's place ha.

The Hargretts said...

Anything to pass on to future generations is a great idea. Journal writing is a good habit to get into... I wish I could get better at it.

Oh and seeing a cow give birth CRAZY but probably kinda cool i guess.

Anonymous said...

Yup, I think if you have more than one daughter, it entitles you to more than one ring. In fact, I like the idea so much that I think I need to get a couple of rings for myself to pass on to my girls!

Love that you are journaling everything! We are hitting our 20 year Anniversary this year and sadly, memories fade and you don't quite remember them the way that they were. Your kids, especially your girls will love reading it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...