Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Am I shy or just anti-social?

I don't know how many of you know, but I can be a pretty shy person. I've always hated the first day of classes or church activities when you have to fill out a bingo sheet by talking to people to find out who "rides a motorcycle", "who's never been in a hurricane" or "has more than six siblings". It gets awkward running around trying to find people. I also hate the people that run around looking at what everyone else has written down. I will always be the person who only talks to the people who ask me.
So since I recently started at the Department of Financial Services, I had to, I mean I got the opportunity to attend the new employee orientation. It went from 8 to 5. And DFS does not take this lightly. They flew a few people from Miami for the day to come to this meeting. It was very unnecessarily long. But sitting next to the coffee pot the whole time only made it a tiny bit worse. But anyways, I was complaining about the get to know you bingo game because they started the meeting out with it, which already made me hate the day. This stupid blue shirt girl from Tampa was way too excited for the game. She ran around to every table copying peoples cards. And the prize for winning was a DFS lanyard. After jumping and screaming about being first to finish, she started to complain when the director announced we all won one.
After the game there were some speakers talking about what to do and what not to do on department computers, which I found out I probably shouldn't be blogging. Then there were more speakers about benefits and deferred comp and all the things I should probably know about but didn't care to learn about. So we listened forever and then went to lunch.
On my way back from lunch, I was walking up a huge hill in high heels, the day after doing a few lunges, I remember I had forgotten my gay little name tag thing. Not wanting to turn around and looking like a fool on Monroe St, I decide to walk through the building and down the 6 flights of stairs, in heels mind you. I grab the tag and walk back up the hill of horror. So after lunch we were going on a tour of the capital and to take a picture with the CFO. It's only a few blocks away but they got a bus for us to ride, thank goodness because I would have died if I had to walk more. The bus was a little late so our capital tour guide was throwing out some random Florida facts. After 15 minutes of an enthused Florida guru the bus finally comes. I get on this bus and notice I forgot my name tag in the dang classroom. I look around and notice I'm not the only one who didn't have theirs on so it was ok.
So once at the capital we were all set up to take our picture with Alex Sink the CFO, who apparently is a big deal. I didn't know she was. I thought she was gonna be just a higher up boss. Not someone almost as important as the governor. But anyways, she took forever to get out there for the picture. So tour lady starts playing Florida Trivia with us. Even after living in Florida for nineteen years, I didn't know that the first Christmas in the US was celebrated in Tallahassee. After being quizzed on the state tree, bird and reptile Alex Sink finally comes out. She takes three pictures, tells us how important we are and leaves for a press conference. By the way, if you ever write and letter to Alex Sink, it's a girl so I'd recomend not to write Mr. Alex Sink. She gets a lot of those kinds of letters.
We walked to the old capital and started getting briefed on the history of it. I didn't feel like it was a middle school field trip until "Florida's first governor" shows up. This guy had on the worst beard and used the worst accent ever. Horrible actor. When he was done giving his speech on everything we were allowed to roam around. I found a theatre and just sat for the whole time. When we left we went up to the 22nd floor of the new capital. It's a pretty neat view. And you can see pretty far away. But for some reason, stupid blue shirt girl now with her cool DFS lanyard, decided to keep walking behind me. Every ten seconds she'd ask "where is the water", "why can't we see the gulf". She continued to ask the same questions around the whole perimeter of the building. Stupid girl.
So we ride the bus back and have even more long boring speakers. I left early so I could make it to class on time. After class I snuck into the itermural fields and played soccer with some friends and I'm proud to say, I made the first two goals of the game. And I've never played a game of soccer before.
But anyways, if you ever join DFS, bring things to keep you occupied for orientation. I can't wait for the two day training next month....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You make me chuckle! I would have never guessed you for being shy or anti-social. Sounds like a great and exciting day! Good times! Just think, they payed you money to get a tour of the city, be bored, and win a cute little lanyard.

Annette said...

hahahaha.... ya you got paid to use your ears... Although I sat kind of in the back of the room for my orientation with my computer and tried to surf the internet. I love how they had so and so from this department and they would say... now we really have important stuff for you to learn. My favorite was when the Sexual Harassment people came and gave us a quiz on what was ok and no okay. Like you had to be some genius to figure it out. Come on... The best part... Lunch!!! Eating in the Coaches room. Now you have a 2 day one??? Wow... well just think of all the free stuff you will get... free education! Works for me!

Unknown said...

Haha I love you Kristen. I think you should call me up randomly sometimes and tell me stories cause I love when you tell them! And as for the stupid blue shirt girl?...I'd kick her in the shin and then say she looked like she needed it. lol I have to admit that I hate those getting to know you bingos also. Totally lame in my book. Then again if you talk to my mother she'd say I'm antisocial. I'm not antisocial, I just don't like to do things that are totally lame :-)

Lindy said...

You're not shy or anti social! Just selectively social. Yes. And nothing is wrong with that. You never have an issue talking to cool people. :) So, I'm just sorry the coolest person at your training was a coffee pot.

Also, I'm very interested in Florida's first govenor. Question: Does he wear knickers or pantaloons?

Unknown said...

You know Tallahasses was the only Confederate capital not to be taken by the Union... bet you didn't know that did ya!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...